Aaron School, School Psychology
January 16, 2015
Name of Externship: Aaron School
Name of Director/Coordinator: Tracey L. Murray, PhD
- The Aaron School
- 309 E. 45th Street
- New York, NY 10017
Telephone: (212) 867-9594 Ext. 4111
Email: [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org Tracey L. Murray, PhD
Start Date: September
End Date: June
- School Psychology
- Child Clinical Psychology
- Counseling Psychology
- Combined School/Child clinical Psychology
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- 15-20 hours per week, 3 full days a week, Fridays required
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- 2 years of program completed, previous school experience
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- Previous special education experience
Is there a stipend for externs?
Additional dates for applications?
- Applications not accepted before January 20
What materials need to be submitted?
- Cover letter
How should it be submitted?
- Submit application materials via email to Dr. Murray at email@example.com
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- Children with reading, math, writing, attention, speech/language, sensory and social challenges (K-7th Grade)
If any of these populations are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Interest in lower, upper or middle school may be taken into consideration
Training models offered:
- Integrative model approach
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Dyad/small group counseling sessions
- Social Skills group instruction
- Social Skills curriculum planning and prepping materials
- Push-in classroom support
- Student observation, tracking and behavioral support
- Create/implement behavioral charts
- School consultation
- Observe and assist in crisis management
- Observe and assist in admissions intakes
- Assist in informal goal planning for students on direct caseload
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: 3-5
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
If any of these assessment experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 1/2 hour
'Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 2 - 2 1/2 hours
Estimated hours/week of didactics:
15-20 hour per week field work or externship assignment at Aaron School includes:
- Must be 3 full days a week and Fridays are mandatory.
- 10 – 14 hours of direct service assignments (no 1:1 sessions).
- Co-lead and plan lessons for Connection Time, Alliance Groups, HHD class Social Skills and/or Peer Groups (approximately 1-2 hours per week of social skills curriculum planning and prepping materials prior to groups). Responsibility for writing up periodic summaries of group lessons and progress for placement in classroom newsletters.
- Assist therapists with informal goal planning for students on direct caseload.
- 1 ½ – 3 hours of participation in staff team meetings. Provide classroom and/or student behavioral management strategies for assigned classroom teachers as well as any additional classroom support deemed necessary by counseling staff in conjunction with classroom teachers.
- Co-facilitate designated parent support groups open to all Aaron School parents.
- Observe and participate in various dyad and small group pull-out sessions in conjunction with assigned therapists.
- Attend weekly team, staff, and dept. meetings (2 – 2 1/2 hours for group supervision and weekly check-ins with head supervisor on average).
- Collaborate with classroom team members to obtain a comprehensive view of each students functioning and the group as a whole.
- Provide push-in support in each assigned classroom as arranged with supervisor and classroom teachers.
- Participate in select parent team conferences (Fall and Spring) as worked out with supervisor.
- Participate in select staff in-services (as schedule permits).
- Assist in maintenance and care of shared environment and materials.