Columbia University/New York State Psychiatric Institute – Children's Day Unit
==Last Update==02/26/2018 Thank you for your interest in the CDU! We have filled our externship positions for the 2018-2019 training year. If you have any questions about the CDU or the training experience, please contact the externship director, Paula Yanes-Lukin, PhD, at email@example.com.
Children's Day Unit -- New York State Psychiatric Institute
Name of Director/Coordinator: Paula Yanes-Lukin, PhD
- NYS Psychiatric Institute
- 1051 Riverside Drive
- Unit 74
- New York, NY 10032
The Children's Day Unit is specialty research clinic dedicated to improving the lives of children and adolescents suffering from mood and anxiety disorders. The CDU is part of the Department of Psychiatry at Columbia University and is directed by Dr. Laura Mufson. At the CDU, we provide comprehensive evaluations, treatment with evidence-based psychotherapy and medications, and a day treatment program with academic services for youth requiring intensive care. Externs work within a multidisciplinary team in order to provide comprehensive care to both the patients and their families.
Start Date: July 1, 2018
End Date: June 30, 2019
- Child clinical
- Combined school/child clinical
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- Mondays and Wednesdays preferred plus one other day for a total of 2 1/2 days per week (20 hours total)
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants, e.g., 3rd year, any year
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- 3rd year and above
Is there a stipend for externs?
Additional dates for applications?
- We will be accepting applications beginning January 16, 2018.
What materials need to be submitted?
- Letter of application
- One sample of written clinical material (psychological test report or case summary)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Letter of application
How should it be submitted?
- Via mail or e-mail to Dr. Yanes-Lukin at above address/e-mail address
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- If you submit an application via email, please title the email, "NYSPI Children's Day Unit Extern Application"
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- Young adults
- Ethnic Minorities
If any of these populations are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Training models offered:
- Cognitive-behavioral treatment approach
- Family Therapy
- Externs will work as part of a multidisciplinary team in a setting that is focused on both clinical work and research. They will have regular exposure to, and didactics in, psychopharmacological treatment, case management, and discharge planning.
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Group Therapy
- School Consultation
- Family Therapy
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- _Not specified_
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: Externs will carry a caseload of 4 cases and also be responsible for co-leading a weekly CBT group for daypatients as well as conducting family therapy and school consultation as needed. Of the 4 cases, 2 cases will be daypatient cases seen intensively (i.e., 2-3 sessions per week), and 2 will be outpatient cases seen weekly.
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
- Neuropsychological Testing
- Psychoeducational Assessment
- Assessment Report Writing
- Personality/Psychopathology Assessment
- Mental Status Exam
- Cognitive Assessment
If any of these assessment experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
- 2-3 full neuropsychological test batteries
- ~20 diagnostic evaluations
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 3
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 1
Estimated hours/week of didactics: 3 hrs