November 18, 2014
Name of Externship: Pre-Doctoral Psychology Externship in University Mental Health at Fordham University
Name of Externship Coordinator: Jessica Del Vita, Psy.D
- Fordham University
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- 140 West 62nd Street, Room G02
- New York, NY 10023
Attn: Training Coordinator
Telephone: (212) 636-6225
Fax: (212) 636-6232
Webpage: http://www.fordham.edu/campus_resources/student_services/counseling_and_psych/training_opportuniti/predoctoral_externsh_33397.asp or go to http://www.fordham.edu/ click on Student Affairs, scroll to Counseling and Psychological, click on Training Opportunities then Pre-doctoral Externship
Start Date: Late August
End Date: Mid May
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- 16 hours/week (2-3 days), mandated training day (Tuesday 10am-2pm), hours flexible on days other than mandatory training day
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- None required
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- All levels can apply and will be considered
Is there a stipend for externs?
Do you permit applications before January 15?
What materials need to be submitted?
- Cover letter
- 2 letters of recommendation
- copy of academic transcripts (unofficial are ok)
- Cover letter
How should it be submitted?
- It is preferred (though not required) that applications be submitted via email as a single PDF document. Please send applications to Dr. Jessica Del Vita at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, write campus preference (LC or RH). If you are open to both campuses, just write "both."
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- Decisions are made based upon the prospective extern's interest in psychodynamic work, cultural competence, ability to demonstrate appropriate use of supervision, and goodness of fit for the college counseling environment.
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- Ethnic Minorities
- Developmental Disabilities
- SMI (to some extent)
- Substance Abuse
If any of these populations are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Training models offered:
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Not specified.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Mental Health Consultation – If need for consultation should arise, externs will be supervised and assisted by senior staff. Consultation with members of the university community or parents is not a routine aspect of the externship experience at Fordham University CPS.
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: Externs will be expected to maintain a caseload of 8-10 individual clients and may have the opportunity to co-lead a group with a senior staff member.
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
If any of these assessment experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Not specified.
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 1
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 1
Estimated hours/week of didactics: The weekly training block consists of 1 hour of either didactic seminar or case conference (presented by the members of the extern cohort and facilitated by two senior staff members, an hour of group supervision, and 1 hour of case disposition.
|Amichaelides 21:49, 3 Dec 2009 (EST)|