Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital
- 1 Last Update
- 2 Contact Information
- 3 General Information
- 4 Application Process
- 5 Description of Externship
- 6 Other Comments
July 22, 2016
Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital Psychology Externship Program:
Name of Director/Coordinators:
Rana M. De Gil, Psy.D. Phone: (973) 538-1800 ext. 4707:
Maria E. Xiques, Psy.D. Phone: (973) 538-1800 ext. 4405:
- Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital
- 59 Koch Avenue
- Morris Plains, NJ 07874
General Phone: (973) 538-1800
Fax: (973) 889-8789
Brochure: Please email Dr. Maria Xiques to request a Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital Psychology Externship Brochure
Externship Start Date: September 2017
Externship End Date: June 2018
Number of Applicants Accepted: 3-4
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- Two days per week, 16 hours per week minimum are required.
Students who miss days due to illness, vacation etc. will need to make those days up in order to successfully complete their externship hours.
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- Candidates should have completed a Master's Degree and be in at least their third year of their doctoral studies.
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- Candidates should have completed at least one prior externship program in clinical or counseling psychology.
Is there a stipend for externs?
Additional dates for applications?
- Applications not accepted before January 20.
- Application deadline is January 30th.
What materials need to be submitted?
- Letter of intent
- Two samples of written clinical material (psychological test report and/or case summary)
- Letter of readiness
- 2 letters of recommendation. at least one must be from a clinical supervisor
- Transcripts of graduate level work
How should it be submitted?
- Applications and all related requested materials should be emailed to Dr. De Gil at the above email address.
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- Considered applicants will be invited for an in-person interview at Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital.
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- Ethnic Minorities
- Developmental Disabilities
- Forensic and Involuntary Status
Training models offered:
- Object Relations
- Learning Theory/Positive Behavior Supports
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Group Therapy
- Psychological Testing
- Risk Assessment
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: Externs will be placed with a licensed psychologist on a unit consisting of an average of 25 patients
Assessment training experiences may include - but are not limited to - the following (as deemed appropriate by the supervisor and Externship Coordinators
- Neuropsychological Testing
- Psychoeducational Assessment
- Functional Assessments
- Assessment Report Writing
- Personality/Psychopathology Assessment
- Mental Status Exam
- Cognitive Assessment
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
- Approximately 4 full batteries
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
- Approximately 4, you may elect to do one or more, it’s up to the student to request.
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 2
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 1
Estimated hours/week of didactics: 3 hrs