Jamaica Hospital Medical Center - Mental Health
Please note the information provided on this page is for the Psychology externship which is for graduate students in a doctoral program in Psychology. For information about the Psychiatry externship (observership for MDs), please contact the department directly.
Name of Externship:Jamaica Hospital Medical Center/ Clinical Psychology Externship
Name of Director/Coordinator:Pravina Nair, Psy.D.
- PSYCH III, Building C, 8900 Van Wyck Expressway
- Jamaica, NY 11418
Start Date: July 1st with some flexibility.
End Date: End of June with some flexibility.
- Graduate students in a PhD or PsyD program in clinical psychology or related field (such as health, combined Clinical-School, counseling etc). This program is not appropriate for students in a school psychology only program.
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- Minimum 2 days/16 hours per week, must be able to come in at 9 am. No weekend days available.
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- Students who will be in their 3rd or 4th year of graduate school at the onset of the externship.
- Applicant must be familiar with basic psychopathology and the DSM V.
- Applicant must have completed classes in cognitive, personality and projective assessments.
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- Preference for applicants with some history working with a clinical population (not necessarily an externship, could be volunteer work)
- Preference for applicants knowledgeable in diversity issues.
Is there a stipend for externs?
Do you permit applications before January 15?
- Not unless permitted by Psychology Directors of NYS (PSYDNYS) for a given year.
What materials need to be submitted?
- Cover Letter
- Deidentified Clinical writing sample.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Letter of readiness from director of clinical training
- Cover Letter
How should it be submitted?
- E-mail: Pravina Nair, Psy.D. at email@example.com.
- If possible, please try to have all documents collated into one pdf file.
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- Applicants will be interviewed in the hospital. Offers of acceptance will be made according to PSYDNYS guidelines.
Description of Externship
[This externship takes place on one of our acute, adult psychiatric inpatient units serving a population of culturally diverse and seriously and persistently mentally ill individuals. Students provide group and individual psychotherapy, psychological assessment, psycho-education, and develop behavioral plans as appropriate. Externs will also have the opportunity to work with families. Please note that the training experience mostly focuses on individual and group psychotherapy. Assessment experience is typically limited to only 1 or 2 per extern each academic year]
Populations commonly served:
- Adults age 18 +
- Seriously and Persistently Mentally Ill (SPMI)
- Chemically dependent
- Personality Disordered
- Ethnic Minorities
- Patients may also be elderly, have a history of TBI, have developmental delays, significant medical problems etc
If any of these populations are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- As available on the unit
Training models offered:
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Not specified.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Group Psychotherapy
- Interdisciplinary Consultation
- Crisis Management
- Family Consultation
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Not specified.
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: Externs are typically expected to see 3 to 4 individual therapy patients and lead 1 group therapy session a week. Externs are not expected to do case management.
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
If any of these assessment experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
- 1 to 2 depending on referral question and student's ability level
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
- 1 to 2. Student writes reports only for the patients the student assessed.
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 1 hour scheduled supervision and also as needed
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: none
Estimated hours/week of didactics: 1.5 hours of case conferences on Tuesdays and 1.5 hours of journal presentations and other mental related presentations on Thursdays (attendance is expected only if extern is on site that day. However, externs are welcome to attend them on their off days if they choose to
|Amichaelides 20:05, 8 Dec 2009 (EST)|