Long Island Jewish Medical Center, The Zucker Hillside Hospital: Geropsychology Externship Track
Oct 16, 2017
Name of Externship:
North Shore LIJ Health System - Outpatient Geropsychiatry Clinic
Name of Director/Coordinator: Dr. Rita Ryan
- Zucker Hillside Hospital Campus
- Geropsychiatry Clinic
- 75-59 263rd Street
- Glen Oaks, NY 11004
Start Date: September 1 (will consider earlier summer start however for students requesting Summer 2018 through Summer 2019 placement or for those seeking more than 12 months experience)
End Date: August 31st
The applicant must be a candidate for the Ph.D or Psy.D in psychology program in clinical or counseling psychology or be enrolled in a qualified respecialization program.
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- 16 hrs per week; Fri 8:30am - 2pm required
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- 2nd yr minimum
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- 3rd yr of training
Is there a stipend for externs?
- Unfortunately, no
Do you permit applications before January 16, 2018?
What materials need to be submitted?
- See website
How should it be submitted?
- via email when possible
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- Interviews typically last for 30 - 45 minutes and may include one or more of the clinical staff. An offer for externship placement is made in accordance with the PSYDNYS (Psychology Directors of New York State) and NYNJADOT (New York / New Jersey Association of Directors of Training) Guidelines for Externship Application and Acceptance Process. See brochure for additional details and specifics on application process.
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- 60yrs of age and above, community dwelling adults
- Ethnic Minorities
- Partial Hospital Program - 12 month rotation
- Outpatient - 12 month rotation
A typical patient might be a retired, cognitively intact 70yr old dealing with depression and anxiety. Often excellent therapy candidates. If a student does have a particular interest in dementia cases, we may be able to provide some ancillary experiences.
If any of these populations are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Please review website for clarification
Training models offered:
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- IPT module is taught as part of GeroSeminar. Cases or direct clinical supervision not guaranteed.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Group Therapy - with Geropsychiatry Partial Hospital patients (possibly also with out patient clinic patients)
- Family/couples Therapy - possible
- Diagnostic Intakes
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Intake experience is offered as schedule permits
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: 4-6
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
If any of these assessment experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Diagnostic Intake (interview-based), with in-vivo supervision: weekly
- Psychological Testing experiences are supplemental and not guaranteed, this is primarily a therapy rotation
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: minimum of 1.0 weekly
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: minimum of 1.0 weekly (group therapy)
Estimated hours/week of didactics: minimum of 1.0 (weekly Gero Psychology Seminar). Optional seminars such as Adult Track Externship Seminar, Case Conference, Journal Club, Grand Rounds etc., available as schedule and interests permit.
Possibility of additional supervision with Gero Psychology Fellow for in depth instruction on a particular therapy case and/or on group therapy