Long Island Jewish Medical Center, The Zucker Hillside Hospital: Specialized Ambulatory Centers, OCD Externship Track
March 1, 2018
Name of Externship: Northwell Health OCD Center
Name of Director/Coordinator: Anthony Pinto, Ph.D.
Northwell Health (formerly North Shore/LIJ) - Zucker Hillside Hospital
Ambulatory Care Pavilion
75-59 263rd Street
Glen Oaks, New York 11004
Start Date: July 1
End Date: June 30
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
A minimum two day per week time commitment is required for a total of 16 hours per week. Typical hours include Tuesday afternoon/evening (team meetings and didactics are on Tuesday) and Thursday or Friday but other schedules will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Email externship coordinator if any questions about scheduling.
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
The applicant should have at least one year of prior externship or practicum experience (i.e., for most applicants, they will be in the third or fourth year of graduate school).
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
3rd or 4th year of doctoral program
Is there a stipend for externs?
Additional dates for applications?
- Applications accepted as of January 16
What materials need to be submitted?
1. cover letter
3. two letters of recommendation from professional or academic sources
4. a de-identified Case Study (NOT a test report)
5. a letter from the head of your doctoral training program attesting to your good standing in the program and your readiness for practicum training. Please include your DCT’s email address.
How should it be submitted?
- Email application materials to Director of OCD Center: Dr. Anthony Pinto (email@example.com)
- Please set the subject line of your email to read "Externship Application 2018 - OCD Track" to make sure that your application is sorted properly.
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- You may be contacted for an interview
Description of Externship
- The OCD Center offers specialized care for patients and families impacted by Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). OCD is characterized by (1) recurrent, intrusive, and distressing thoughts, urges, or images (obsessions) and (2) repetitive mental or behavioral acts that the individual feels driven to perform (compulsions) to prevent or reduce distress, or to prevent some dreaded event or situation. The OCD Center also offers evidence-based treatment for related conditions, including self-limiting perfectionism, obsessive compulsive personality disorder, and body dysmorphic disorder. Individual and group supervision are provided by experts in OCD and related disorders. Externs participate in weekly didactics covering topics related to treatment and professional development.
Populations commonly served:
Training models offered:
- CBT - specifically Exposure and Response Prevention, with adjunctive therapies, including ACT, emotion regulation, behavioral activation, integrated as needed
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Group Therapy
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: 8-10
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
- Personality/Psychopathology Assessment using structured clinical interviews
- Mental Status Exam
- Comprehensive Assessment of OCD
- Assessment of Family Accommodation of OCD
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 1
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 1
Estimated hours/week of didactics: 1