Marymount Manhattan College Counseling
Name of Externship: Marymount Manhattan College Counseling & Wellness Center
Name of Director/Coordinator: Deborah Giordano, Psy.D.
- Marymount Manhattan College Counseling & Wellness Center
- 221 E. 71st Street, Suite 806
- New York, NY 10021
Email: Deborah Giordano, Psy.D.
Start Date: August 2018
End Date: Late May 2019
- Doctoral students in APA Accredited Clinical and Counseling Programs
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- The externship consists of 16 hours per week, from late August through late May. Mondays are a required day, and externs must be available one other day that is NOT Friday. There is some flexibility with scheduling, such as the possibility of being on site for half days (for the second clinical day) if class schedules interfere with being present for a full day. One evening shift a week (until 7pm) is preferable. All externs are required to carry professional liability insurance.
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- Graduate students currently enrolled in a Clinical or Counseling doctoral training program are eligible. Demonstrated ability in intake, assessment and DSM diagnostic formulations is required.
Preferred level of readiness (any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- Third and fourth year Clinical/Counseling Psychology students are invited to apply, and exceptional second year students will be considered. Experience in intake, assessment and DSM diagnostic formulations is preferred.
Is there a stipend for externs?
The externship site follows the guidelines approved by PSIDNYS and NYNJADOT
Do you permit applications before January 16th?
What materials need to be submitted?
- Interested applicants should submit their cover letter, CV, and 3 letters of recommendation to Dr. Giordano. NOTE: applications will not be considered until ALL application materials have been received.
How should it be submitted?
- Please email application materials to Dr. Giordano at Dgiordano@mmm.edu. If it is not possible to email materials, please mail your complete application to Dr. Giordano at Marymount Manhattan College, Counseling & Wellness Center, 221 E. 71st Street, Suite 806, New York, NY 10021.
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- Applications will be accepted beginning on Tuesday, January 16th, 2018 at 9AM and interviews will begin on a rolling basis shortly thereafter. There are 2 externship positions available for the 2018-19 academic year, and applications will be accepted until both externship slots have been filled. Externship offers will be made beginning Monday, February 26th, 2018.
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- College student population
- International Students
- Ethnic Minorities
- Emerging Adult/Young Adult/Adolescent
- Substance Abuse
If any of these populations are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Training models offered:
- Psychodynamic, CBT, integrative:
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- The Marymount Manhattan College Counseling & Wellness Center (CWC) offers psychology externships in college mental health for training in brief treatment approaches, diagnostic formulation, outreach programming, and referral skills. Externs will meet weekly with individual supervisors, have weekly group supervision, and participate in a weekly didactic seminar. Because CWC is a small, close-knit center, this externship offers an excellent opportunity to play a central and collaborative role in a thriving college counseling center.
- Expected number of cases seen at any one time:
- Externs may carry a caseload of up to 9 clients. As externs become more familiar with CWC, they will also conduct walk-in sessions and meet with prospective clients to set up initial appointments. Externs will also have the opportunity to participate in select outreach events, such as our most popular program, "Stress Down Day".
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
- Intakes, PHQ-9, AUDIT
- Intakes, PHQ-9, AUDIT
If any of these assessment experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 1
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 1
Estimated hours/week of didactics: 1
- Please note that that both externship positions have been filled for the 2017-2018 academic year. If you would like to learn more about Marymount Manhattan College, please visit http://www.mmm.edu. For more information on our externship program, visit http://www.mmm.edu/offices/counseling-and-wellness-center/extern-program.php