Mental Health Association of NYC
Not yet updated
Name of Externship: Mental Health Association of NYC
Name of Director/Coordinator: Lynn S Kaplan, Psy.D.
- 50 Broadway
- New York, NY
Telephone: 212 614 5706
Fax: 212 529 1959
Email: Lynn S Kaplan, Psy.D.
Start Date: August 2017
End Date: June 29th 2018
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- 2 days a week (3 days is also available if requested), 8 hrs per day, flexibility in scheduling available as we operate 24/7
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- 2nd year
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- 3rd year
Is there a stipend for externs?
Additional dates for applications?
- Applications accepted between January and May 2017
What materials need to be submitted?
- Letter of application
- Copy of malpractice insurance
- Letter of readiness
- Letter of application
How should it be submitted?
- Email applications to Lynn S Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- Selected applicants will be interviewed for the externship.
MHA of NYC offers 2 different Externship experiences.
OASAS HOPEline- The HOPEline is New York’s state-wide, 24/7 telephone and text hotline, offering information and referral, support and crisis (suicide/homicide) intervention for alcoholism, drug abuse, and/or problem gambling. Individuals can contact the HOPEline themselves or to obtain help for a family member or friend. Follow up services are also offered. Callers have access to addiction crisis support and referrals to more than 1,500 substance use prevention and treatment providers across the state. The HOPEline is funded by the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services.
LifeNet- LifeNet is a 24/7 phone, text and chat hotline for mental health and substance use concerns which is grant funded by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. LifeNet offers information and referral, support and crisis (suicide/homicide) intervention for New York City residents. Individuals can contact LifeNet for themselves or to obtain help for a friend or family member. LifeNet provides follow up services as well. LifeNet is the Single Point of Access for Mobile Crisis and Child Rapid Response Teams in NYC.
Populations commonly served:
- Ethnic Minorities
- Developmental Disabilities
- Family members
Training models offered:
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- MHA provides a mandatory two to three week training in managing contacts through phone, text and chat.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- All interactions with individuals on the HOPEline and LifeNet are through phone, text and chat. Externs will learn and develop expertise in the areas of engagement of clients, client assessment (functional assessment, Mental Status and Risk Assessment), they will learn Safety Planning and Active Rescue including making referrals for Mobile Crisis Team Services and calling 911 as necessary, collaborative problem solving including helping to develop coping skills and will learn about the wide range of referrals available in NYC. Documentation is an important part of each contact and externs will document all interactions. Externs on the HOPEline have the option of a "3rd day placement" at a substance use facility where they work face to face with individuals.
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
- Mental Status Exam
- Functional Assessment
- Risk Assessment
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 1 hour monthly
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 1 hour weekly
Estimated hours/week of didactics: Included in group supervision