Metropolitan Center for Mental Health
December 11, 2017
Name of Externship: Metropolitan Center for Mental Health
Name of Director/Coordinator: Robert Basile, Psy.D.
- 160 West 86th Street
- New York, NY 10024
Telephone: (212) 362-8755
Fax: (212) 362 0168
Email: Robert Basile, Psy.D.
Start Date: September 10, 2018
End Date: July 5, 2019
- Clinical Psychology or Counseling Psychology
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- 15-18 hours per week (across 2-3 days), MONDAYS required, otherwise flexibility in scheduling
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- 3rd or 4th year of graduate training (OK for students who will be applying to Internship)
Is there a stipend for externs?
When should I apply?
Applications will be accepted between Jan 16, 2018 (9:00am) and February 7, 2018 (5:00pm)
What materials need to be submitted?
- Letter of application
- Letter of readiness
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one pertaining to clinical experience)
- Letter of application
How should it be submitted?
- Via email to Dr. Robert Basile: firstname.lastname@example.org
Final Date to submit application: FEB 7, 2018
Details of the application process:
- Final Day of Interviews will be February 14th, 2018. Applicants are informed of decisions by date set by consortium of externship sites.
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- Ethnically diverse outpatient population consisting of adults, children, adolescents and older adults.
Training models offered:
- Psychodynamic conceptualization of cases is emphasized. Other modes of psychotherapy (CBT, DBT, Family Systems) are used as adjuncts.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Family Therapy
- Child (Play) Therapy
- Group Therapy
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: 7 to 10 psychotherapy cases (weekly), 1 intake session (weekly), clinical triage screenings, co-lead 1 Group Therapy (weekly), and 2 psychodiagnostic evaluations over the course of the year
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
- Year-long, weekly Seminar on Assessment (Clinical Interview, Risk Assessment & Psychosocial report writing)
- Individual supervision for psychodiagnostic batteries
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
- 2 full batteries (Cognitive, Personality, Neuropsych [if needed])
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 1.5 hours individual supervision
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 2 hours group supervision
Estimated hours/week of didactics: 1 hour of Assessment Training + 1 hour of Rotating Seminar (based on clinical issues relevant to patient population)
This training site typically accepts 3-4 externs annually.