NYU - Center for Counseling and Community Wellbeing
01 December 2016
Name of Externship:
Center for Counseling and Community Wellbeing
Anil Chacko, Ph.D.
David Klemanski, Psy.D., MPH
Department of Applied Psychology
Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
New York University
246 Greene Street, New York, New York 10011
Telephone: (212) 998.5749
Start and end dates:
July 01, 2017 - June 30, 2018
Doctoral students (Ph.D., Psy.D., Ed.D.) in Counseling, Clinical, Clinical-School Education, and Health Psychology programs.
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
Training is suitable for first-time and advanced practicum students. Training experiences will be commensurate with education and clinical training background.
- Child Behavior and Disruptive Disorders
- Anxiety and Mood Disorders
- Psychological/Neuropsychological Assessment
- Short- and long-term individual and group psychotherapy
- Intake evaluations
- Treatment planning
- Psychological assessment (i.e., full and partial batteries in cognitive, personality, and neuropsychological domains) and integrated report writing
- Participation in both group and individual supervision
Expected number of concurrent therapy clients: 4-6.
Expected number of assessment clients: 2 (minimum).
Student case presentation and discussion.
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
Students will be expected to be on site for approximately 16 hours per week with mandatory attendance at orientation, supervision (i.e., 1 hour each for individual group), and didactic meetings (1-1.5 hours).
Stipend for externs?
Number of positions available:
Application submission dates:
Please submit all applications beginning on Tuesday, January 17, 2017. Final deadline for applications is on Friday, January 20, 2017 by 4.00 p.m.
Materials to be submitted?
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information (Please include your primary email and mailing addresses as well as the name, primary email address, and telephone number of your program’s Director of Clinical Training).
- Two Recommendation Letters
How materials should be submitted?
Please email all materials as a single PDF to both Drs. Chacko and Klemanski. Recommendation letters should be emailed directly by those individuals who are recommending you.
Description of Externship
The Center for Counseling and Community Wellbeing is part of the teaching and training program in Counseling Psychology at New York University and provides services to meet the social, emotional, and behavioral health of the local community. The Center provides a range of services to children, adolescents, adults and families.
Populations commonly served:
Training models offered:
Empirically supported treatments (CBT, ACT, MBSR, Psychodynamic, etc.).