NYU - Center for Counseling and Community Wellbeing
10 January 2018
Name of Externship:
New York University Center for Counseling and Community Wellbeing
A. Jordan Wright, PhD
Department of Applied Psychology
Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
New York University
246 Greene Street, New York, New York 10011
Telephone: (212) 998.5573
Start and end dates:
September 4, 2018 - July 31, 2019
Doctoral students (Ph.D., Psy.D., Ed.D.) in Counseling, Clinical, Clinical-School Education, and Health Psychology programs.
Preferred level of readiness (any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
Training is suitable for first-time and advanced practicum students. Training experiences will be commensurate with education and clinical training background.
- Short- and long-term individual psychotherapy with both children and adults
- Comprehensive intake evaluations
- Treatment planning
- Psychological assessment (i.e., full batteries in cognitive, personality, neuropsychological, and psychoeducational domains) and integrated report writing
- Participation in both group and individual supervision
- Expected number of concurrent therapy clients: 4-6.
- Expected number of assessment clients: 2-3 (minimum).
- Student case presentation and discussion.
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- Students will be expected to be on site for approximately 16 hours per week with mandatory attendance at orientation, supervision (i.e., 2 hours of group supervision weekly, 1 hour of individual, additional for assessments), and didactic meetings (1 hour per week).
- At least one day students will need to be at the clinic in the evening (till at least 7pm).
- Group supervision and didactics occur on Thursday mornings (9-2). You must commit to being in the clinic during this time.
Stipend for externs?
Number of positions available:
Application submission dates:
Please submit all applications according to the NYC externship application guidelines.
Materials to be submitted?
- Letter of application/interest/fit
- Curriculum Vitae
- One comprehensive, integrative psychological assessment report (can be on a volunteer from a class)
- Contact Information (Please include your primary email and mailing addresses as well as the name, primary email address, and telephone number of your program’s Director of Clinical Training)
- Two Recommendation Letters
How materials should be submitted?
Please email all materials as a single PDF to Dr. Wright. Recommendation letters can be emailed directly by those individuals who are recommending you or can be included in the single PDF application.
Description of Externship
The Center for Counseling and Community Wellbeing is part of the teaching and training program in Counseling Psychology at New York University and provides services to meet the social, emotional, and behavioral health of the local community. The Center provides a range of services to children, adolescents, adults, and families.
Populations commonly served:
Training models offered:
Empirically supported treatments (CBT, ACT, MBSR, Psychodynamic, etc.).