NYU Child Study Center – Integrated Behavioral Health (IBH) Pediatric Psychology Externship
January 2, 2018
Child Study Center at Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital of New York at NYU Langone
One Park Avenue, 7th Floor
New York, Ny 10016
Name of Director/Coordinator: Becky Lois, Ph.D.
- Email: Becky Lois, Ph.D.
NYU / Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital offers one externship position in pediatric psychology with the Integrated Behavioral Health (IBH) Team. The IBH team provides clinical services, conducts clinical research, and develops programs that address the psychosocial aspects of illness or injury and promote positive health behaviors of children and families presenting with acute or chronic medical needs. The pediatric psychology externship track offers training across these three domains through outpatient pediatric services. Pediatric psychology externs will participate as a member of our psychosocial team and collaborate with multiple interdisciplinary teams on patient care, clinical programming, and research initiatives. Clinical training includes individual psychotherapy using brief, targeted interventions, often combining aspects of CBT, DBT-informed skills training, mindfulness, behavior management, parent training, and crisis intervention. Foundational CBT training and at least one prior CBT-based externship are required. Training in primary prevention mental health screening initiatives, integrated care research initiatives, and mental health programming initiatives will also be provided. Additional aspects of clinical training include 2 hours of 1:1 clinical supervision per week, as well as 1 hour of group supervision delivered during weekly psychosocial team meetings. Externs will also attend Child Study Center weekly case conference, as well as weekly departmental Grand Rounds for additional didactic time; and may choose to attend the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Consultation / Liaison Service bi-weekly case conference.
New York Campus 1 Externship Positions Available
The IBH psychosocial team is a specialized team that offers short-term treatments to children and adolescents with chronic medical conditions and their families. Experiences include:
- Combination of cases, based on interest, (10-12 total over the course of the year) addressing the following presenting problems:
- Medical non-adherence; chronic pain; functional disability; depression / anxiety; parent stress / family functioning; transition of care responsibility from caregiver to patient
- Extensive intake evaluations that include liaison with medical subspecialties and feedback to families
- Opportunity to co-lead support groups, family-based workshops, and educational series
Research & Program Development Experiences
- Research participation in ongoing studies examining psychosocial outcomes in patients receiving integrated behavioral health care
- Assist psychosocial team with mental health program development, implementation, and evaluation
Please Note A total of 3 hours of clinical supervision (individual/group) will be provided on a weekly basis.
- Fourth year doctoral candidate in a clinical, school-clinical, pediatric psychology, or health psychology program, with at least two years of previous clinical experience providing psychotherapy, including at least one year of previous experience delivering CBT-based interventions to children and/or adolescents
- Available 2-3 days a week (up to 19 hours). Must be available Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday mornings; other days/times are flexible
- Available for a 12 month externship from 7/1/18-6/30/19. These dates are not flexible.
Application Process and Contact Information:
Those interested in applying for the Integrated Behavioral Health (IBH) Pediatric Psychology Externship Position should submit via email@example.com the following documents:
- letter of interest
- writing sample - psychological intake report (limited to 2 pages),
- attestation letter from your graduate program stating your eligibility for externship
- two letters of recommendation (from professors or clinical supervisors)
Applicants with further questions should contact Becky Lois, Ph.D., at (646)754-5021 or Becky Lois, Ph.D.
- Applications will not be accepted before January 16th and must be received by January 23rd.
Please note if you are interested in applying to more than one externship within the Child Study Center you must submit an application to each externship separately. Please set the subject line of your email to read which externship so that your application is sorted properly.