NYU Health Center
January 17, 2018
Name of Externship:
NYU Health Center -
Counseling and Wellness Services (CWS)
Name of Director/Coordinator:
Director: Julia Shiang, Ph.D.
- NYU Student Health Center
Counseling and Wellness
- 726 Broadway
- Suite 471
- New York, NY 10003
Webpage:The application procedure on the website is in the process of being corrected: www.nyu.edu/counseling and wellness
Applications can be submitted by regular mail OR Email; see below
Start Date: September
End Date: May
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- A commitment of approximately 16 hours or 20 hours a week, involving two or three days of clinical psychotherapy hours, weekly attendance on Wednesday from 11 - 2 for seminar, group supervision and staff meetings.
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- Third and fourth year clinical/counseling psychology students are invited to apply. Second year students with exceptional clinical experience will be considered. Experience with one-on-one counseling to adults.
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- The Counseling Service seeks applicants with at least one year of clinical experience and/or demonstrated ability in intake, assessment and DSM diagnostic formulation.
Is there a stipend for externs?
Do you permit applications before January 15?
- No applications accepted before Jan. 15 and
applications will not be accepted after February 8, 2018, 9 am.
- Applications may be submitted by regular postal mail or by email. Include cover letters, cv, and recommendations in one pdf file to email@example.com starting 1/16 at 9 am until February 8 at 9 am.
What materials need to be submitted?
- Cover letter
- Two or Three letters of recommendation.
- Cover letter
How should it be submitted?
Applications may be submitted by regular postal mail or by email. Include cover letters, cv, and recommendations in one pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org starting 1/16 at 9 am and ending 2/8 at 9 am.
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- None given
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- College and graduate students, international students from Asia, Europe, South America, Africa
Training models offered:
- DBT/CBT groups
- [[Each semester the student clinician will have a live observation according to APA guidelines.,
CWS is a diverse multidisciplinary site of 40 professionals on staff (social workers, nurse practitioners, psychologists, psychiatry, crisis workers) coordinating care for students. Opportunities for leading groups (CBT for anxiety or depression, DBT groups, working in the crisis unit, and attending specialty teams to discuss client care (eating disorders, substance abuse, and trauma). Staff meetings, seminars, focus on culture. Mentoring by Postdoctoral Fellows ]]
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Readiness will be determined.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- [[Generally Externs 8-12 Clients per semester for 10 individual sessions.
Leading group therapy, skill building, and crisis intervention]]
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- None noted.
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: Not indicated
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: one hour individual, one hour seminar/group supervision rotation
Estimated hours/week of didactics: A seminar/case conference will cover a variety of topics relevant to providing brief treatment in a university mental health setting. Postdctoral Fellows will mentor/supervise EXTERNS for approximately 1.5 months.
|Robert McGrath 14:44, 15 Mar 2010 (EST)|
- Externs see patients in both the main office and nearby satellite offices. Externs will be required to have evening hours on one day (5-8pm).