NYU Health Center
Dec. 12, 2016
Name of Externship: NYU Health Center - Counseling and Wellness Services (CWS)
Name of Director/Coordinator: Director: Julia Shiang, Ph.D. email@example.com
- NYU Student Health Center, submit applications to this address
- 726 Broadway
- Suite 471
- New York, NY 10003
Start Date: September
End Date: May
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- A commitment of approximately 16-18 hours a week, involving two days of clinical psychotherapy hours, weekly attendance on Wednesday from 11 - 2 for seminar, group supervision and staff meetings.
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- Third and fourth year clinical/counseling psychology students are invited to apply. Second year students with exceptional clinical experience will be considered. Experience with one-on-one counseling to adults.
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- The Counseling Service seeks applicants with at least one year of hospital clinical experience and/or demonstrated ability in intake, assessment and DSM diagnostic formulation.
Is there a stipend for externs?
Do you permit applications before January 15?
- Applications should be postmarked according to current Director of Training guidelines
What materials need to be submitted?
- Cover letter
- Three letters of recommendation, in sealed envelopes with recommender signature across seal
- Cover letter
How should it be submitted?
- Regular mail to above address: Attention: Externship Application
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- None given
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
Training models offered:
- Seminars by staff members on specialties: eating Disorders, Substance abuse, trauma
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- None noted.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Individual therapy; with training and readiness, group therapy, toolkits, and crisis intervention
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- None noted.
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: Not indicated
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: one hour individual, one hour seminar/group supervision rotation
Estimated hours/week of didactics: A seminar/case conference will cover a variety of topics relevant to providing brief treatment in a university mental health setting. Postdctoral Fellows will mentor/supervise EXTERNS for approximately 1.5 months.
|Robert McGrath 14:44, 15 Mar 2010 (EST)|
- Externs see patients in both the main office and satellite offices. Externs will be required to have evening hours on one day (5-8pm).