Neuropsychology Associates, Clinical Neuropsychology Externship
December 28, 2016
Name of Externship: Neuropsychology Associates
Name of Director/Coordinator: David M. Erlanger, Ph.D., ABPP-CN
- 3 East 65th Street
- Suite 5B
- New York, NY
Email: David Erlanger
Start Date: September
End Date: June
- Child clinical
- Combined school/child clinical
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- 16 hours per week; typically 2 days per week, 8 hrs per day, although some externs have scheduled 3 days per week, 5-6 hours per day. Some flexibility in scheduling.
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- Child or Adult Testing Practicum Required
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- Experience with neuropsychological measures preferred
Is there a stipend for externs?
Additional dates for applications?
- Applications for September 2017 not accepted before January 17.
What materials need to be submitted?
- Letter of application
- CV, including list of tests administered and approximate frequency of administration
- At least one sample of written clinical material. Neuropsychological test report preferred
- Letter of readiness
- Letter of recommendation (optional)
- Letter of application
How should it be submitted?
- Email to Dr. David M. Erlanger at the above address.
- Please do not mail application materials
Interviews will be held in January and February for fall applicants.
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- This externship affords opportunities to perform complete neuropsychological test batteries on individuals aged 3 to 90. Most externs gain experience with both children and adults. A majority of cases are medical and medico-legal, although opportunities to assess individuals with developmental disorders and psychiatric illness are also offered. Some flexibility in meeting the specific interest of the extern is typically offered. The population is representative of the diversity of New York City.
- Frequent referrals include traumatic brain injury, stroke, brain tumor, Alzheimer's disease, toxic exposure, developmental delay, learning disorder, seizure disorder, multiple sclerosis, etc...
- Applicants should be interested in pursuing clinical neuropsychology at the internship and postdoctoral level. Research interest in the field of neuropsychology is encouraged and past externs have collaborated on research according to their level of interest.
Training models offered:
- Training in DSM-5 Diagnostic Criteria is provided
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Externs gain experience providing feedback regarding neuropsychological test results
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: Externs typically perform and score 2 test batteries per week
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
- Neuropsychological Testing
- Psychoeducational Assessment
- Assessment Report Writing
- Personality/Psychopathology Assessment
- Mental Status Exam
- Cognitive Assessment
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
- Approximately 70 to 80 full batteries
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
- Approximately 6: more if requested by extern.
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 4
Estimated hours/week of didactics: 2 hrs