New York Presbyterian - Westchester Division Track 6: Inpatient DBT on a Personality Disorders Unit
December 15. 2017
Name of Externship: New York Presbyterian - Westchester Division Track 6: Inpatient DBT on a Personality Disorders Unit
Name of Director/Coordinator: Dr. Patricia Marino
- New York Presbyterian Hospital—Westchester Division
- 21 Bloomingdale Road
- White Plains, NY 10605
Start Date: July 1, 2018
End Date: June 30, 2018
Appropriate for: Clinical and counseling psychology trainees with some experience with CBT and DBT and interest in gaining experience in an acute care setting.
- The Personality Disorders Unit (3 South) at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital,
Westchester Division is an acute inpatient unit for adults. The Personality Disorders Unit provides comprehensive dialectical behavioral and cognitive-behavioral treatment in an inpatient setting. The patient population presents with a wide variety of psychiatric diagnoses, including personality disorders and severe anxiety and mood disorders, psychotic disorders, in addition to co-morbid substance use disorders and dementia.
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- 2 days per week
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants): advanced students
Is there a stipend for externs?
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 1-2 hours
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 1 hour
Estimated hours/week of didactics: 1-2 hour
The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital offers externships in clinical psychology at our Westchester Division in White Plains, New York. There are seven externship tracks: 1) Neuropsychology, 2) Inpatient CBT for Affective Disorders, 3) Clinical and Research Practicum in Schizophrenia and Related Disorders, 4) Inpatient CBT on Women's Unit, 5) Child/Adolescent CBT Track with Anxiety Disorders Emphasis 6) Inpatient DBT on a Personality Disorders Unit, 7) Inpatient CBT on The Horizon at Westchester Specialty Unit.
This posting refers to the Inpatient DBT on a Personality Disorders Unit
Length: The year-long externships will run from July 1st, 2018 to June 30th, 2019.
Time: 2 days per week or equivalent (16 hours weekly)
B. Externship Application Process
1. To apply to the externship, applicants should send a curriculum vitae, a statement of clinical experience and areas of interest, and two letters of recommendation.
2. Applicants should clearly specify which track(s) they are applying to in the email or brief cover letter that accompanies their submission, as well as which days of the week they are available for interviews. They should also specify which days of the week they are available for externship.
3. Application material will be accepted from January 16, 2018 to January 26th, 2018. Interviews will take place in February.
4. Applicants: please compile the application materials into a single PDF document labeled with your last name, first initial, and application track (e.g., “Doe J Track 5”; If applying to multiple tracks, "Doe J Tracks 1 & 2"). Please note: If your mentors prefer to submit their letters separately, please request that they indicate your name and the track(s) to which you are applying in their email. Address your letter of intent to the director(s) of the track(s) to which you are applying, but submit the PDF file by emailing Nina Huza, Staff Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email submissions of a single PDF file are strongly preferred, but all application material (particularly letters of recommendations) will be accepted by mail:
Ms. Nina Huza email@example.com
NewYork Presbyterian Hospital—Westchester Division
21 Bloomingdale Road
White Plains, NY 10605
Specific Externship Track Description
Track 6: Inpatient DBT on a Personality Disorders Unit
Number of Positions: 2-3
Track Description: The Personality Disorders Unit (5North) at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, Westchester Division is an acute inpatient unit for adults. The Personality Disorders Unit provides comprehensive dialectical behavioral and cognitive-behavioral treatment in an inpatient setting. The patient population presents with a wide variety of psychiatric diagnoses, including personality disorders and severe anxiety and mood disorders, psychotic disorders, in addition to co-morbid substance use disorders and dementia.
Trainees will have the opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary treatment team, promoting cognitive-behavioral interventions through a variety of patient interactions. In addition, trainees will be involved in brief assessments. The extern’s core experience will include:
1. Co-leading daily CBT and DBT Groups in conjunction with the unit psychologist. In addition, trainees will have the opportunity to provide brief, individual treatment to patients.
2. Attendance at morning unit rounds, weekly case conference, and other didactic opportunities throughout the hospital.
3. Opportunity to work on research projects and case reports with the possibility of publication.
All clinical activities are intensively supervised by the unit psychologist. Trainees receive daily, group/individual supervision. If you would like further information prior to submitting an application, please contact Dr. Patricia Marino at 914-997-8691 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.