Pace Counseling Center Externship - NYC
Name of Externship: Pre-Doctoral Psychology Externship
Name of Director/Coordinator: Regina Hund, Psy.D.
Start Date: first week of September
End Date: usually last week in May (with completion of contracted hours)
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- A minimum of 16 hours per week is required, with mandatory hours of 10:45am - 1:00pm on Wednesdays and 9:45am - noon on Fridays. If an extern is interested in additional training hours, our program can offer additional hours. This would require approval from the extern's academic program. The additional hours can be scheduled at the extern’s convenience but are expected to be consistent from week-to-week.
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- Applicants should be considered to be in good standing within their academic program and must be certified as ready for externship training by the academic program training director.
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- Some form of clinical experience is desired. This could include clinical interviewing, experience with mental status assessments, or clinical intake experience. Some familiarity with the DSM system of diagnosis classification is also preferred. '''Prior counseling/psychotherapy experience is not required.'
Is there a stipend for externs?
When do you accept applications?
- We are in accordance with the Psychology Directors of New York State (PSYDNYS) and the New York New Jersey Association of Directors of Training (NYNJADOT). We do not consider applications submitted before Tuesday January 16, 2018. Externship offers will not be made before Monday, February 26th at 9:00am in accordance with PSYDNYS.
What materials need to be submitted?
- A Cover Letter
- A Resume (CV)
- A Letter of Readiness from the applicant’s training director or program director
- One letter of recommendation
- If an applicant is accepted to the Externship, they will need to furnish proof of liability insurance coverage prior to their Sept. start date.
How should it be submitted?
- Materials should be submitted to Dr. Regina Hund via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all materials within one email if possible.
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- approx 10-14 days are devoted to reviewing applications. Invitations for on-site interviews are then sent out. We attempt to make our selections by the 3rd week of February. Externship offers will not be made until 9:00am on February 26th in accordance with PSYDNYS Guidelines.
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- Ethnic Minorities
- College Students
- Eating Disorders (assessment and referral if indicated by level of severity)
- Substance Abuse(assessment and referral if indicated by level of severity)
If any of these populations are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Not specified.
Training models offered:
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Not specified.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Outreach--Externs participate in ongoing counseling center outreach and prevention activities on campus.
- Co-facilitation of a skills-based Stress Management Group based on the ACT model
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- see above
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: externs carry a continuing caseload of up to 6 psychotherapy clients who are seen weekly
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
- Intake Report Writing
- Structured Interviewing
- Mental Status Exam
- Crisis Intervention/Walk-in assessment and management with active supervision
If any of these assessment experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- see above
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
- none. Testing is not offered as a training experience at this time.
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 2 hours/wk
Estimated hours/week of didactics: 2.5 hours
|Amichaelides 21:59, 7 Jan 2010 (EST)|