Sagamore Children's Psychiatric Center
ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS IN 2016-2017
Name of Externship: Sagamore Children's Psychiatric Center
Name of Director/Coordinator: Kathryn DeRoss. Psy.D..
- 197 Half Hollow Road
- Dix Hills, NY 11746
Telephone: (631) 370-1915
Start Date: August 15
End Date: through June 30th
- Combined School/Child Clinical
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- 20 hours per week; Two and a half days required; days flexible but Friday mornings currently required for attending Seminar
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- Coursework in intellectual and personality assessment (Cousework in Rorschach-Exner Comprehensive System beneficial)
- Coursework in individual, group and family psychotherapy
- Some grounding in CBT and/or DBT and trauma focused psychotherapy
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- The externship prefers advanced (e.g. 3rd year and higher) due to the clinical demands of the population served.
Is there a stipend for externs?
Do you permit applications before January 17?
What materials need to be submitted?
- Cover letter
- Letter of readiness from Director of Training
- Sample Psychological Evaluation
- Sample Case Conceptualization
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Cover letter
How should it be submitted?
- Either by mail care of Dr. DeRoss or by email to the above address
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- Select applicants will get interviewed, and will be notified within a week of receipt of the application. Applications will be accepted from Tuesday January 17, 2017 to Friday January 27, 2017. No late applications will be reviewed. Interviews will occur in early February. There are 4-6 positions available for the 2017-2018 training year.
Description of Externship
Population Commonly Served
- The externship provides students with experience in (a) intake evaluations of children and families, (b) individual and group psychotherapy with children and adolescents, (c) psychological testing and (e) didactic experiences. The externship offers training in an eclectic approach utilizing psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral and dialectic behavioral therapy in the context of cultural competence.
Training Models Offered
- Cognitive Behavioral (including focus on Trauma Focused CBT)
- Dialetical Behavior Therapy
- Suicide Prevention
- Motivational Interviewing
Intervention Training Commonly Offered
- School Consultation
- Case Management
NOTE: Externs typically carry a caseload of two patients, gradually learning to take on increasing responsibilities for those patients within a multidisciplinary team setting
Assessment Training Experiences Commonly Offered
- Cognitive Assessment
- Personality Assessment
- Risk Assessment
NOTE: Externs typically complete one evaluation every two weeks, completing about 12-15 evaluations over the course of the externship
Supervision & Training Opportunities
- Externs receive at least one hour of individual therapy supervision per week
- Externs receive at least one hour of individual testing supervision every other week, corresponding to being assigned an evaluation
- All externs receive at least one hour of group supervision per week
- All externs are receive mandatory training in crisis management, infection control and a number of other topics
- All externs are encouraged to participate in a multitude of other training opportunities, including Grand Rounds, Didactic Seminars, and a number of other presentations both live, in-building, and via videoconference.
For more specific information regarding the externship training program, please email Dr. Kathryn DeRoss, Program Director and request an electronic copy of the Externship brochure.