The Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Staten Island University Hospital
Name of Externship: The Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Staten Island University Hospital
Name of Director/Coordinator: Dr. Rosemarie Basile (Clinical Coordinator, Brain Injury Program)
- 475 Seaview Ave.
- Staten Island, NY 10305
Telephone: (718) 226-6501
Fax: Not given.
Start Date: September 1st or January 5th
End Date: 6-month rotation (could be 1 year as well)
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- 16 – 20 hours/week, M-F, 9am to 5pm (some 8am to 4pm)
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- MA level preferred, BA also accepted if the student has the required experience
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- Knowledge of WAIS, psychometrics, report-writing experience
Is there a stipend for externs?
Do you permit applications before January 15?
What materials need to be submitted?
- Letter of intent
- List of test given in the past
- Letter of intent
How should it be submitted?
- By e-mail
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- About 2 weeks after the e-mail, the student will be called for an interview. A professor/supervisor will also be called & asked to provide info about the student’s testing and writing abilities.
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- Ethnic Minorities
- TBI/Cog impairment
- Developmental Disabilities
If any of these populations are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Externs do not work with Infants but are able to observe. Work with Children is based on experience.
Training models offered:
- The focus is on diagnosis and evaluation, not so much on therapy.
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Not specified.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Individual Therapy – only if student has extensive experience
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: No specific number expected, as the focus is on quality rather than “productivity.” Average: about 5 hours of billable time (testing)
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
If any of these assessment experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Everything is based on level of experience.
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
- 2 per week
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
- 2 per week
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 1 hour/week
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 1 hour/week
Estimated hours/week of didactics: 2 didactics/month – attendance is encouraged but not mandatory
|Amichaelides 22:32, 7 Jan 2010 (EST)|