VA New York Harbor Health Care System, Manhattan Campus
October 26, 2016
Name of Externship: VA New York Harbor Health Care System, Manhattan Campus
Name of Director/Coordinator: Cory Chen, Ph.D.
Telephone: (212) 686-7500; ext. 4002
Fax: (212) 951-6309
Start Date: July preferred
End Date: mid-June
For 2018-2019 we are offering intensive clinical training to psychology doctoral students in the Psychotherapy Research and Development Program. PLEASE NOTE THAT WE CAN ONLY ACCEPT STUDENTS FROM APA ACCREDITED DOCTORAL PROGRAMS. Please see our externship brochure at:
for full description of our externship program, eligibility requirements, schedule requirements, and application procedures.
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- A commitment of at least 2 days (16-20 hours) per week is required. Mondays are required for all trainees. The second day of training is individualized for each extern based on his or her availability as well as the needs of the service.
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- This externship is for advanced graduate students from APA accredited doctoral programs in clinical or counseling psychology. Applicants must have completed at least three full years of graduate study prior to the start of externship and have had two full years of psychotherapy training/supervision.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS FROM STUDENTS WHO ARE CONCURRENTLY APPLYING FOR INTERNSHIP.
- PARTICPATION IN OUR EXTERNSHIP WILL HAVE NO IMPACT ON A STUDENT'S LATER CHANCES OF ATTENDING OUR INTERNSHIP PROGRAM.
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
Is there a stipend for externs?
Do you permit applications before January 17?
Populations commonly served:
If any of these populations are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Not specified.
Training models offered:
- Practitioner-scholar model, apprenticeship method
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- not specified.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Other manualized, evidence-based treatments such as Behavioral Activation and Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy
- Inpatient Group Psychotherapy
- DBT Drop-in Distress Tolerance Group
- Emotion Focused Couples Therapy
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Not specified.
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: Not specified.
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
If any of these assessment experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Elective assignment.
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision:
Estimated hours/week of group supervision/didactics:
|Amichaelides 21:37, 7 Jan 2010 (EST)|