Westchester Jewish Community Services
December 4, 2017
Name of Externship: Westchester Jewish Community Services (WJCS)
Name of Director/Coordinator: Marna Cohen, Ph. D., Coordinator, Psychology Externship
Telephone: 914-949-6761, ext. 472
Start Date: September 4, 2018
End Date: June 28, 2017 (later end date may be arranged)
- Child Clinical
- Combined School/Clinical
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling): Two or three days per week, approximately 8 hours per day. Total hours per week are 16-24, depending on doctoral program requirements. One evening a week is required. There is some flexibility in externship days depending on WJCS site/program where student is placed.
Possible externship sites include our mental health clinics in Hartsdale and Yonkers.
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- Second-, third-, fourth-year (and higher) Doctoral candidates are considered.
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- Prior clinical/practicum experience in mental health or school setting is preferred.
Is there a stipend for externs?
Do you permit applications before January 16th?
- Last day to apply is Tues., February 20th.
What materials need to be submitted?
- Cover letter
- Two letters of recommendation
- Letter of readiness from doctoral program Training Director
- Writing Sample - such as a psychological evaluation, case conceptualization, or treatment summary
- Cover letter
How should it be submitted?
- Application material should be mailed or e-mailed to the address above (If submitted electronically, letters of reference should be in PDF format on official letterhead)
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- WJCS follows the guidelines established by the Psychology Directors of NYS (PSYDNYS)and NY/NJ Association of Directors of Training (NYNJADOT). Applications will be accepted beginning Tuesday, January 16, 2018. Interviews will be scheduled upon receipt of the student's completed application. Offers of externship will be made between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. beginning Monday, February 26, 2018, in accordance with the timeframes agreed upon by PSYDNYS and NYNJADOT.
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- Ethnic Minorities
- Developmental Disabilities
- Autistic Spectrum
- Serious Mental Illness (SMI)
- Survivors of Trauma
- Juvenile Sex Offenders
If any of these populations are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Training models offered:
- WJCS is committed to utilizing evidence-based treatment models when available.
- School-Based Interventions
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: approximately 6-8 therapy cases, 1 group (based on Extern's # of placement hours).
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
- Psychoeducational assessment
- Intake Report Writing
- Assessment Report Writing
- Personality/Psychopathology Assessment
- Forensic Assessment
- Juvenile Sex Offender Risk Assessment
- Firesetting Risk Assessment
If any of these assessment experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Personality/psychopathology assessments - as well as forensic, JSO and firesetting risk assessments - are assigned if available.
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
- 2-3 minimum (based on Extern's # of placement hours and availability of assessment referrals). Assessments are generally completed through the WJCS Learning Center
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
- 2-3 minimum (based on Extern's # of placement hours and availability of assessment referrals)
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 1-2 hours by a licensed psychologist. Supervisors with specialty training will provide additional supervision as needed. Externs will also be assigned a Pre-Doctoral Psychology Fellow supervisor/mentor during their externship year as well.
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: as needed over training year
Estimated hours/week of didactics: Approximately 1-2 hours per month, including training available through the WJCS Educational Institute, as student's schedule/time permits.
|Amichaelides 23:11, 7 Jan 2010 (EST)|
Externs are expected to assist in WJCS research projects.