|WOODHULL IS NOT ACCEPTING EXTERNSHIP APPLICATIONS FOR 2015-2016 ACADEMIC YEAR.
Name of Externship: Woodhull Medical Center Psychology Externship Training Program
Name of Director/Coordinator: Carla D'Aiello, Psy.D.
- Woodhull Medical Center/NYU Langone Medical School
- 760 Broadway, Room 5A-8C br>
- Brookly, NY 11206
Email: Carla D'Aiello, Psy.D.
Start Date: Orientation on August 26-28, 2013; start day after Labor Day
End Date: June 10(although may work through the end of June if additional hours are needed)
- Clinical and Counseling students
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
• The Externship program contains mandatory requirements that are deemed essential to the development of competency in providing psychological services to clients with a wide range of difficulties and levels of functioning in the identified developmental age range, with particular focus on services for underserved people from non-dominant ethnic and cultural groups.
• The Externs’ workload is adjusted to ensure that all clinical and administrative work can be accomplished within an 18-20 hour workweek.
REQUIRED: Thursdays 8:30 AM-5:00PM required for Staff Meeting, Didactic Seminar, and Supervision
- Remaining hours scheduled based on trainee and office availability.
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- Training positions will be open to second year plus Doctoral level students who are enrolled in a graduate program in psychology.
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- Completion of coursework in skills, theories of psychotherapy, and psychopathology/abnormal behavior is also preferred prior to beginning the practicum. Preference will be given to applicants who have prior clinical experience. What we consider most important is an indication that the student communicates a genuine interest in working with a diverse population and exhibits an openness and willingness to learn from our setting.
Is there a stipend for externs?
Do you permit applications before January 15?
What materials need to be submitted?
- A cover letter explaining how a practicum at Woodhull Medical Center would fit with your short- and long-term professional goals.
- A current resume/curriculum vitae.
- A copy (photocopy is fine) of your graduate transcript.
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member in your academic department.
- A letter of readiness from your academic department. This must be separate from the letter of recommendation.
How should it be submitted?
- Email is preferred for all documents
- If you must send via US MAIL, please contact Dr. D'Aiello for an alternate mailing address.
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
approximatlety two weeks are devoted to reviewing applications. Interview offers are then sent out by the third to fourth week of January. We make our selections by the 3rd week of February. Externship offers will not be made until 9:00am on March 5 in accordance with PSYDNYS Guidelines.
- If positions remain following the initial selection period, additional applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
- Children and Adolescents
- Ethnic/Cultural Diversity
- Depression/Mood Disorders
- Substance Abuse
- Learning Disability/ADHD
- Relationship Issues
- Adjustment/Transition Concerns
Chronic Mental Illness
Inpatient Adult Service
ALL POSITIONS HAVE BEEN FILLED FOR 2013-2014 EXTERNSHIP YEAR:
- Not specified.
Training models offered:
- The majority of the staff conceptualize and practice from various psychodynamic models in their own work, but all staff are trained to work with trainees on the theoretical orientation most effective to service and of the trainees choosing. During supervision the extern is guided in better understading there theoretical preference.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Group Therapy
- Crisis Intervention
- Adult Inpatient
- Medical Consultation
- Psychological Evaluations