Youth Development Clinic
Name of Externship: Clinic for Youth & Family Solutions (formerly Youth Development Clinic)
Name of Director/Coordinator: Mark Kitzie, PsyD
- 500 Broad Street
- 3rd Floor
- Suite 1
- Newark, NJ 07102
Telephone: (973) 623-5080
Start Date: September 1st
End Date: June 30th
Preschool clinical health
Scheduling (e.g., required/optional days of week, # hrs per day, total hours per week, flexibility in scheduling):
- Flexibility in scheduling approx. 16 hrs. over 2 days/week; Clinic hours are 10:00am to 7:00pm, M-Th; (one night until 8:00PM for group supervision); possibility for working up to 30 hours/week (depending on position)
Required level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants):
- Experience in school-based mental health and/or community mental health is preferred but not required.
Preferred level of readiness(any prior experiences preferred for applicants):
- Students with a Masters degree may be preferred for certain positions. Experience with Children in some capacity is desired. Some background/training with forensic psychology required for forensic assessment training
Is there a stipend for externs?
- Yes (Practicum and Internship students based on number of hours)
Do you permit applications before January 15?
- Yes (However assignments are finalized over the summer. Preferences are honored as much as possible and discussed in the initial interview)
What materials need to be submitted?
- A cover letter
- Student should also be prepared to submit a list of references/recommendations.
- A cover letter
How should it be submitted?
- Electronically or via postal mail
Any details of the application process (e.g., interviewing, time frame, how decisions are made):
- Interviews will be scheduled on an ongoing basis; they are typically conducted by the clinical director.
Description of Externship
Populations commonly served:
If any of these populations are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Student may have the opportunity to tailor the position to include populations of interest but Children will be the primary population served.
Training models offered:
If any of these models are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- ABA experience will be offered depending on position.
Intervention training experiences commonly offered:
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Family Therapy
- School Consultation
- Mental Health Consultation
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy; Play Therapy
- Trauma-Focused CBT
If any of these intervention experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- Experiences will be dependent on position
Expected number of cases seen at any one time: 10-12
Assessment training experiences commonly offered:
- Forensic Assessment
- Clinical Assessment
- Intake Report Writing
- Treatment Planning
- Behavioral Assessment
- Personality/Psychopathology Assessment
- Structured Interviewing
- Motivational Interviewing
If any of these assessment experiences are only available to students under certain circumstances, please indicate:
- vIf a student is chosen for a practicum position, they will have the opportunity to complete 1-3 assessments in addition to their practicum work. YDC does not currently offer practicum position solely for Assessment. In addition, the student is required to have their Master’s degree in order to complete an assessment battery/report
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests):
Expected number of assessment reports completed during externship (defined as writing reports based on a battery of standardized tests:
Estimated hours/week of individual supervision: 1-2
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 1-2
Estimated hours/week of didactics: Not specified.
|Amichaelides 23:19, 7 Jan 2010 (EST)|