Provide description of Externship:
General information about externship site:
Director of the Program: Karyn Smarz
Training Director, (degree): Ph.D.
URL for Externship Brochure:
Length of externship (in months): 10 months (option to extend for 2 additional months)
Start Date: 9/1
End Date: 6/30
• Some flexible scheduling days related to program and student needs. Thursdays between 1pm-3pm is required for all students.
• Must commit to one late night (7:00 pm) on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday. The chosen late night will remain the same for the duration of the externship. Please plan accordingly.
How many hours a week are expected of extern?: 16
Specialty tracks: n/a
# of externs to be accepted for 2019-20: 4
• Applicants should have some knowledge of psychopathology, various treatment orientations, and have some experience working with children and families.
• Applicants should have an interest in learning to perform forensic abuse evaluations and provide individual and group therapy to multiculturally and socioeconomically diverse families of children who have experienced maltreatment.
• Applicants must have completed at least one prior practicum, as this is not an appropriate first practicum placement.
• We are willing to interview applicants who are concurrently applying for internship.
Minimum level of readiness (any prior experiences or level of training required for applicants:
Do you provide a stipend? If so how much?: No
When do you expect to begin interviews? (Applications can be submitted no earlier than Jan 22): We invite qualified applicants within 2 weeks of application submission.
Interview process (provide information about interview process- time frame, how decisions are made) Also, do you conduct individual and/or group interviews; case presentation, other information?: Three interview dates are scheduled and approximately 8 candidates are invited for each day. There are 2 separate individual interviews with two different staff members. Expect to spend the majority of the day as there will be a presentation about the site and candidates will have the opportunity to talk to current practicum students.
What application materials are required (i.e., cv, transcript, how many reference letters, case summary, test report, other?: Letter of interest, CV and two letters of recommendation (at least one must be clinical). Upon application submission, you will be e-mailed a questionnaire to complete. Please return it promptly.
Intervention and Assessment:
Intervention training experiences offered: Estimate average number of individual patients that students will carry; estimate number of groups and other types of interventions. Offer description: Approximately 4 individual therapy cases
Assessment training experiences commonly offered. Describe: Forensic evaluations for child maltreatment and/or adjustment to foster placement.
Expected number of full assessment batteries completed during externship (defined as administration of a battery of standardized tests): Approximately 15
Estimate # of integrated assessment reports per year: Approximately 15
If offering Rorschach, which scoring systems used: N/A
Estimate hours/week of individual supervision: 1 hour/week
Estimated hours/week of group supervision: 3 hours/month
Estimated hour/week of didactics: 3 hours/month
Estimated co-therapy hours with supervisors: 0
Context of didactics (seminars, Grand Rounds): Seminars on forensic assessments, trauma informed care, and various other topics.
Estimated informal open door "curbside" supervision: 1 hour/week
Describe direct supervision: Externs will meet with assigned supervisor once per week to discuss therapy cases. Additional supervision will occur for forensic assessments.
Specify if observation occurs during intervention, assessment, consultation (audio, video, live in person (in treatment room, one-way mirror, live video stream): Observation of assessment at least twice during the year.
If you have only one extern, would you be to have the extern participate in a peer support consortium with other sites- live or "SKYPE"?: N/A
Is the agency readily accessible through public transportation?: Yes
Wheelchair accessible: Yes
Are home visits required as part of the trainee's duties?: No
Is a transportation stipend provided?: No