PEDIATRIC PSYCHOLOGY EXTERNSHIP at
NYU / HASSENFELD CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL
NYU / Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital offers one externship position in pediatric psychology with the Integrated Behavioral Health (IBH) Team. The IBH team provides clinical services, conducts clinical research, and develops programs that address the psychosocial aspects of illness or injury and promote positive health behaviors of children and families presenting with acute or chronic medical needs. The pediatric psychology externship track offers training across these three domains through outpatient pediatric services. Pediatric psychology externs will participate as a member of our psychosocial team and collaborate with multiple interdisciplinary teams on patient care, clinical programming, and research initiatives. Clinical training includes individual psychotherapy using brief, targeted interventions, often combining aspects of CBT, DBT-informed skills training, mindfulness, behavior management, parent training, and crisis intervention. Foundational CBT training and at least one prior CBT-based externship are required. Training in primary prevention mental health screening initiatives, integrated care research initiatives, and mental health programming initiatives will also be provided. Additional aspects of clinical training include 2 hours of 1:1 clinical supervision per week, as well as 1 hour of group supervision delivered during weekly psychosocial team meetings. Externs will also attend Child Study Center weekly case conference, as well as weekly departmental Grand Rounds for additional didactic time; and may choose to attend the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Consultation / Liaison Service bi-weekly case conference.
Clinical Experiences: The IBH psychosocial team is a specialized team that offers short-term treatments to children and adolescents with chronic medical conditions and their families. Experiences include:
- Combination of cases, based on interest, (10-12 total over the course of the year) addressing the following presenting problems:
o medical non-adherence
o chronic pain
o functional disability
o depression / anxiety
o parent stress / family functioning
o transition of care responsibility from caregiver to patient
- Extensive intake evaluations that include liaison with medical subspecialties and feedback to families
- Opportunity to co-lead support groups, family-based workshops, and educational series
Research & Program Development Experiences:
- Research participation in ongoing studies examining psychosocial outcomes in patients receiving integrated behavioral health care
- Assist psychosocial team with mental health program development, implementation, and evaluation
NOTE: A total of 3 hours of clinical supervision (2hrs individual/ 1hr group) will be provided on a weekly basis.
- Fourth year doctoral candidate in a clinical, school-clinical, pediatric psychology, or health psychology program, with at least two years of previous clinical experience providing psychotherapy, including at least one year of previous experience delivering CBT-based interventions to children and/or adolescents
- Available 2-3 days a week (up to 19 hours). Must be available Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday mornings; other days/times are flexible
- Available for a 12 month externship from 7/1/19 - 6/30/20. These dates are not flexible.
- Applications will not be accepted before January 22nd and must be received by January 29th.
- Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, a sample psychological intake report (limited to 2 pages), and two letters of recommendation to Lara.Brodzinsky@nyulangone.org.
- Please set the subject line of your email to read “NYU/ Pediatric Psychology Externship Application 2017” so that your application is sorted properly.
Applicants may contact Lara Brodzinsky, Psy.D. at 646-754-7257 or via email at Lara.Brodzinsky@nyulangone.org with any questions.