Provide description of Externship:
Externship Opportunities at The New
School Counseling Services
The New School Counseling Services is located at 80 5th Avenue, 3rd floor. Counseling Services is part of Student Health Services (SHS) which includes Medical Services, Student Health Insurance, and Wellness and Health Promotion.
Description of Counseling Services
The Counseling Services are free and available to degree seeking undergraduate and graduate students who have paid the per semester SHS fee. The following services are provided: crisis intervention, short term individual therapy, group therapy, information and referrals to community providers, psychiatric consultation and short term medication management, consultation, health promotion and training for faculty and staff. The treatment modality is supportive, eclectic with a psychodynamic emphasis.
Counseling Services at The New School offers an externship program with a minimum commitment of 2 days.
participate in the externship will:
- Conduct intakes and triage assessments
- Conduct short term individual psychotherapy-a maximum of 8 clients (8 session limit)
- Participate in 2 hours of individual supervision and 1 group supervision
- Participate in a seminar
- Have the opportunity to conduct crisis intervention which may include lateral contacts with family, faculty, staff and outside providers
- Work with an interdisciplinary team of psychotherapists, psychiatrist and medical practitioners
- Work collaboratively with the Offices of Crisis Management and Student Support and Student Rights and Responsibilities.
Requirements: Must be in a Ph.D. program in Clinical or Counseling Psychology and completed at least one prior externship.
Currently Counseling Services is not conducting research or providing psychological testing opportunities for externs.
General information about externship site:
Director of the Program: Jerry Finkelstein Ph.D.
Training Director, (degree): Vanessa McGann Ph.D.
URL for Externship Brochure: